Monday, February 07, 2005

Dream Road

Have you ever heard of a Dream Road? Tad Williams wrote about one in his trilogy, the Dragon Bone Chair. I had a dream about it, only it was different from his. At the time, I was quite sick, with a temp. of 103. It was more like a hallucination.


-
"Last night I had a dream about the Dream Road. The Dream Road, in my dream, was not really a road. I found myself in this white place. It was like a hallway; there were no walls, but I sort of felt walls. There were doors, by looks suspended above ground, but there was ground. You just couldn't tell the difference, everything was white, no lines besides the doors. But indeed there was a floor, for I walked upon it. The doors were white, and they had frames and they had shadows, just barely outlining each door.
You know that sound, in a school or hospital, as you walk down the hall, your shoes go click...click...click? Well, that's how it sounded when I walked.

The Dream Road: The dream

All reality faded and became white. There was no sound, just white. There wasn’t even that suffocating silent feeling. There just was no real sound. I started walking. There were no walls, but it felt like there were. I saw doors, plain white. I walked past a few, each step clicking on the white surface. I stopped at one and opened it. If it had not been for the stone table, and the two bodies, it would have been like the door went nowhere, but there were the people.
One of them was laying on the table, his head at my left. Standing near his head was another person. The one standing turned and faced me. It was a Bryan. I saw who was on the table; it was Mark. It was almost like being at a funeral. Mark's hands were crossed over his chest as if he was dead, but he was only asleep. Bryan's whole attitude, the way he was standing, was very solemn. He had a sad look in his eyes.
“Very few can walk this Road.” He said.
“I want to speak to Mark.” I said. It felt slightly urgent that I speak to Mark.
“He cannot walk this Road. Most cannot walk the Dream Road and he is one. There are others who believe they can walk it. They brag about it, but they wander lost, in ignorance, upon this road.” He walked towards me. “Come, I'll show you.”
We walked back through the door. Instead of being back in the white hallway, we entered another room. This one also had the stone table, but the body was barely visible. It was my best friend. She could not walk the Road, but she thought she could.
“You can do many things on this Road.” Bryan's voice was quiet. He didn't really say it, and yet in a way not verbal he did, but I felt like he was telling me about some people who use it to their advantage, how evil their hearts were. It takes great responsibility to walk the Road and there are those who protect the Road from those who would use it. He told me about how great a temptation it is and how dangerous the Road is.
About this time, I was called from the Road back into Reality, the white forming shapes and colors. It had only been about ½ an hour.

No comments: